A Baseball Weblog

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Lilly's interesting line

Ted Lilly's line from his Sunday start against the Rockies caught my eye:
4 IP, 9 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 1 BB, 8 K

I wouldn't expect a pitcher who strikes out 8 in 4 innings to have such poor results. Similarly, I wouldn't expect a pitcher who only walks one in 4 innings to have such poor results. You can imagine my curiosity when I noticed Lilly's combination of an 8/1 K/BB ratio and 7 runs allowed in those 4 innings. Overall, Lilly faced 22 batters. Take out those 8 strikeouts and 1 walk, and you have 13 balls in play. Of those, there were 9 hits, including 2 home runs. That's a batting average on contact of .692, which is more than double the league average. Obviously not significant, because of the sample size. But, noteworthy, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment